Microsoft permits you to transfer a Windows 10 license to a new PC, even for the people who are using the free upgrade services from Windows 7 or 8. If you want to move the Windows 10 license from your old PC to a new one, then you can do this procedure by following the steps mentioned below.
Here’s How to Transfer a Windows 10 License to a New PC
- Delete the License from the computer, and re-activate it on your new PC
- Click on the Windows and X keys together on the old PC.
- Select the Command Prompt option.
- It is located on the menu list.
- Enter “slmgr.vbs/upk” in the given box.
- Click on the Enter option.
- This option runs the command.
- It starts uninstalling the product key.
- You can use this product key anywhere.
- Install Windows 10 on a new PC.
- Select the “I don’t have a product key” option.
- In case you have purchased the Windows 10, then type the product key.
- Select the edition.
- In case you have uninstalled Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Windows 8.1 Core or Home Basic, then select the Windows 10 Home option.
- In case you have uninstalled the Windows 7 Ultimate and Professional, or Windows 8.1 Pro, then select the Windows 10 Pro option.
- Type the product key once again.
- Select the “Do this later ” option in case you are not upgraded yet.
- Type the key in case you have the latest version of Windows 10.
- After completing the installation process, type the product key.
- You can complete this procedure by following the steps mentioned below:
- Press on the Start option.
- After that, click on the Settings tab.
- Open the Update and Security option.
- Now, you will get the Change the product key option on the screen.
- Type the key and press on the Next option for activating it.
- Otherwise, go to the administrator command prompt.
- Type “slmgr.vbs /ipk” next to the product key which looks like “xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.”
- After that, click on the Enter option.
- Click on the Windows and R keys together.
- Enter slui.exe 4.
- Click on the Enter option.
- Press on the OK button.
- Now, you will get the activation wizard, select the country.
- Press on the Enter confirmation ID option.
- Type the ID.
• Associate the Windows license with an account rather than hardware
1. Press on the Start option.
2. Click on the Settings tab.
3. Press on the Update and Security option.
4. You have to complete the activation procedure of Windows 10 first.
5. Go through the “Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account” option.
6. Open the Accounts, Info, and Settings option.
7. Go through the Administrator given below the title.
8. Return to the email address over Administrator.
9. Select the Add an account option.
10. Click on the login option.
11. In the Activation window, select the “Windows can’t be activated on your device text.”
12. Select the “I have changed the hardware on this device recently” option.
13. Press on the Next option.
14. Type the email ID and registered password.
15. Go through the box, which indicates, “This is the device I’m using right now.”
16. Press on the Activate option.
John Hunt is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.